The progress reports
Each week (hopefully) we update this page with new photos of instruments in progress. The updates will usually be on Monday.
We hope that you enjoy seeing the progress on your instrument and those of others who have them on order.
Week ending July 18, 2005
I found the disc of pictures from when we first got Elliot, when she was 9 weeks old.
On the same disc was a photo from Maxou and Joel's workshop this spring. Thanks, guys!
JD's renaissance model: this was our main focus since the last update.
Gluing the soundboard in place.
Making a longer drilling pilot for the custom tail drill and tap set
A new model needs a number of test pieces before we commit to the real stock.
Test pieces for the keybox top laser decoration
The final burn on the keybox top
Test pieces and templates for the tailpiece
The wheel cover (test pieces not shown) and the completed tailpiece
The tailpiece being lasered
Wheel cover block blanks
Masking is complete (1:15 AM)
The first coats of finish
luteback repair - of course we forgot to take a picture of how badly it was broken
A big slab of flamed walnut
The same wood sawn into back, sides, and trim pieces
A VG back being glued up
DA's VG body, also from the same slab
Thanks for watching - tune in next week!
Please contact us if you have comments or questions about this page or other pages on this site.
Alden and Cali Hackmann
© Copyright 2000, 2005, Olympic Musical Instruments.